Quinoa is a staple in my diet, so I’m always on a mission to find new creative ways to make it shine. The sweetness of apricot and richness of sweet potato make this meal awesome.
Red Quinoa Apricot Salad
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
juice of 1/2 Meyer or small regular lemon
2 teaspoons maple syrup
3 dried apricots
1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup red quinoa (see Sidebar page 153)
1 sweet potato, cubed
1 shallot, diced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes sea salt
2 cups vegetable broth
3 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
10 dried apricots, thinly sliced
large sprig of basil, julienned
roughly 5 cups wild arugula
goat cheese to taste (optional)
1. Place all of the dressing ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. It may take a few rounds to fully blend the apricots. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine the cherry tomatoes, vinegar, and garlic powder with 3 tablespoons of the oil. Stir well and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes. Place the quinoa in a bowl with enough water to cover and allow it to soak for at least 5 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low. Sauté the sweet potato and shallot with the red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potato is soft.
4. Drain the quinoa and place it in a large saucepan with the broth, the remaining olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir well. Reduce the heat to low and cook the quinoa, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it is fluffy. Let it cool slightly.
5. Place the spring onions, apricots, and basil in a large serving bowl. Add the arugula, quinoa, and dressing. Gently fold the salad together. Add small blots of cheese, if desired.
This post is excerpted from Kathryn’s new book, Aim True: Love Your Body, Eat Without Fear, Nourish Your Spirit, Discover True Balance!
Kathryn Budig is an internationally celebrated yoga teacher and author known for her accessibility, humor, and ability to empower her students through her message, “aim true.” She is a warrior for self-acceptance, honesty, and helping her students and readers find true balance. The Kansas native graduated from the University of Virginia with a double degree in English and Drama before moving to Los Angeles, where she trained under the tutelage of Maty Ezraty and Chuck Miller. With over a decade of experience in her field, she served as the yoga contributor to Women’s Health magazine for 5 years, writes weekly for Yoga Journal, and served on the Yahoo! Health advisory board as well as contributing regular recipes. She’s a sponsored athlete in Under Armour’s “I WILL WHAT I WANT” campaign, and the founder of her animal project, Poses for Paws. She is the creator of the Aim True Yoga DVD and author of The Women’s Health Big Book of Yoga. Her second book, Aim True, was recently published through William Morrow, an imprint of Harper Collins.
Feeling inspired? Practice with Kathryn on YogaGlo today.