Are you a parent with a YogaGlo account and a teen who would love to take yoga classes at home? The day you’ve been waiting for is finally here. We now offer yoga classes designed exclusively for your teens 13 years and older on YogaGlo!
As we announced earlier this year, we’ve partnered with Katherine Priore of Headstand to develop a yoga curriculum just for teens that focuses on the challenges they face at school, on the practice field, at home and in life. Katherine is the founder and executive director of Headstand. Directing the yoga-in-schools movement, she oversees school programming, fundraising, strategic partnerships, and organizational sustainability. Katherine leads workshops training teachers around the country, and strategizes with school leaders to develop cultural shifts for greater wellness in K-12 settings. She began her studies in yoga nine years ago as a way to relieve stress as a public school teacher. Since then, Katherine has cultivated a profound appreciation for the calming, therapeutic, and grounding aspects of yoga. She is an educator and yoga teacher, with more than a decade’s experience leading a wide range of K-12 learners. Katherine holds a Master’s degree in Education from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.
The Teen Yoga program we’ve just launched today includes five focus areas that we will be adding to over time:
- Why Yoga? – What is yoga? What are the benefits of yoga? How can you benefit from yoga on a personal level? What is meditation? Why is it beneficial? Character strengths we’ll explore: Persistence, Integrity, Kindness, Self-regulation, Humor
- Yoga for Stress – What are the symptoms of stress? How do I know when I’m stressed out? Where does my stress “live” in my body? How can I use yoga to manage stress? Can I improve my personal relationships when I reduce my own stress? How can I use yoga to manage tests stress? Character strengths we’ll explore: Perspective, Bravery, Vitality, Kindness, Gratitude, Hope
- Yoga for Concentration – What or who breaks my concentration? How do I take responsibility for my own powers of concentration? How can yoga help me build concentration? Character Strengths we’ll explore: Persistence, Humility, Curiosity
- Yoga for Strength – What is real strength? Who helps us become stronger? What commentary do you notice when you feel “weak”? How can we cultivate strength on the inside and out? Character strengths we’ll explore: Persistence, Bravery, Grit, Vitality, Zest
- Yoga for Change – How do we deal with change and transition? What happens when we resist change? How do we become more accepting of change by cultivating deeper presence in our lives? Can we use yoga to help navigate times of change? Character strengths we’ll explore: Kindness, Perspective, Curiosity, Integrity, Forgiveness, Gratitude
Are you ready to sign your teen up for YogaGlo classes so they can get the same benefits of yoga that you do? If you already have a YogaGlo account, you can begin the sign-up process for your teen by selecting the Teen Yoga tab in your Member Dashboard. If you don’t have a YogaGlo account, you’ll need to create one to see the Teen Yoga tab.
If you need any help setting your teen up through your own YogaGlo account, view our Teen Yoga Setup Tutorial which will walk you through each step so your teen can get Glo-ing on our teen-only YogaGlo site!