We are thrilled to announce that Annie Carpenter is now a YogaGlo teacher!
Known as a “teachers’ teacher,” Annie is the creator of SmartFLOW Yoga, an intelligent marriage of mindful movement with compassionate, wakeful alignment. Annie creates practices that are at once advanced and challenging, yet safe and playful. She has been practicing yoga since the 70s, performed and taught for the Martha Graham company in the 80’s and continues to be a dedicated student (geek!) of anatomy, evolutionary movement, meditation and classical philosophy. She believes that Yoga has a multitude of expressions and can truly transform and heal each of us, teaching us to embrace passionately all that life presents.
Annie is the author of RelaxDEEPLY, a CD of restorative yoga, and Yoga for Total Back Care,” a DVD produced by Yoga Journal and several SmartFLOW manuals. She contributes regularly to Yoga Journal and Origins magazines. An influential Teacher Trainer since 2003, Annie leads public classes, 200/300 Teacher Trainings and mentors young teachers at Exhale in Venice, at YogaTree in San Francisco, and internationally.
Annie’s first YogaGlo classes are now on the site so you can start practicing online with her today:
- Elemental Core Flow – Strong, challenging flow to explore how your back and front bodies support each other to create length and core strength. Connect to a pace that slows and grounds while strengthening your core in many plank variations including Vasisthasana (side plank), Virabhadrasana 3 and handstands. Quiet, deep savasana.
- Pranayama to Quiet a Busy Mind – A short and sweet sitting meditation practice with Ujjayi and Viloma 2 breath to shift your active or distracted mind into a calm, grounded peaceful state.
- Sunset Flow – A great quickie practice with enough Yang so you feel alert and strong. The practice has a nice cool down finish too. Two short standing pose flows and deep hip and hamstring release.
- Hip Opening Inquiry – Learn the nuances of your hips and how to stand tall in tree pose! Use the asymmetry of tree pose to find the symmetry within.
- Grounded & Free – Deep, slow and strong. This practice will help you discern the difference between hip flexion and spine flexion. Ground your hips, lengthen your hamstrings and open your psoas so you’ll feel stable and free. Supta and Uttitha HastaPada Gustasana, Vira 3 and Sirsasana are your guides.
- Femurs Descending – A strong flow with specific alignment cues focusing on softening groins, moving thighs back and supporting the lower back symmetry. This class starts slow, then moves into a strong flow of sun salutations, neutral standing poses, balancing poses and handstands. Backbends are included to release the core work and finishing with a sweet savasana. You will feel grounded and focused and work hard.
Please join us in welcoming Annie Carpenter to YogaGlo!