Alignment is the precise way in which the body should be positioned in each yoga pose in order to obtain the maximum benefit from the pose, increase strength & flexibility without causing any pain, and most importantly, to avoid injury. Proper alignment improves circulation, creates inner space in the joints, and brings a balanced flow of energy through the whole body, which leads to health and well being.
This week’s featured classes will give you a deeper understanding of alignment so you can apply it to your postures.
- The Foundation of Alignment with Richard Freeman: Prana governs inhaling. Apana governs exhaling. This class explores how these two primary patterns of Internal Shakti are the foundation of alignment and how they need and love each other.
- Alignment Self Check with Alex van Frank: Yoga is for every body, however, yoga is not a one-size-fits-all. In a slow sequence you will play with props in a variety of ways so that you can better support your body and practice. This is why alignment can be tricky, especially when you are practicing alone. Props are wonderful tools for assisting in the optimal alignment for your body from head to toe. An aligned practice that is about mobility, flexibility, and strength. Props Needed: Two blocks, a blanket, a strap, a bolster, a chair, and wall space.
- Deeper Alignment with Tiffany Cruikshank: This is a nice level 1 flow class to teach deeper alignment in a few standing poses like warrior A & triangle pose.
- Alignment Attracts Focus with Darren Rhodes: Start class with poses that warm up the back and spine along with push ups and ab work. From there you step directly into a pithy yet potent standing series that focuses on strength. After that, it’s a playful mix of backbends and arm balances with low back and hamstring stretches peppered in. Cool down with basic forward folds and twists.
- Basic Iyengar Alignment with Marla Apt: In this class we learn the basic alignment of the first two standing poses that are generally taught to beginners: Virabhadrasana II (Warrior Pose) and Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose). Prop: Block
- Divine Alignment with Kia Miller: Explore how the way you stand informs each pose you do. Find your true ‘Tadasana- Mountain Pose’ and slowly build to a balancing posture – Warrior 3. Enjoy challenging yourself in this sequence and finding your own Divine Alignment. Props – 2 Blocks