Alignment is the precise way in which the body should be positioned in each yoga pose in order to obtain the maximum benefit from the pose, increase strength & flexibility without causing any pain, and most importantly, to avoid injury. Proper alignment improves circulation, creates inner space in the joints, and brings a balanced flow of energy through the whole body, which leads to health and well being.
This week’s featured classes will refine your understanding of alignment so you can apply it to your postures.
- The Foundation of Alignment with Richard Freeman: Prana governs inhaling. Apana governs exhaling. This class explores how these two primary patterns of Internal Shakti are the foundation of alignment and how they need and love each other.
- Basic Iyengar Alignment with Marla Apt: In this class we learn the basic alignment of the first two standing poses that are generally taught to beginners: Virabhadrasana II (Warrior Pose) and Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose). Prop: Block
- Sattvic Alignment with Marc Holzman: When the body/mind are in sattvic alignment, a deeper meditation is more accessible: Asana/Pranayama/Meditation. We’ll do a short and simple 5 minute asana practice to move energy through the body, 2 minutes of alternate nostril pranayama to soothe and balance the nervous system, and approximately 10 minutes of meditation using a simple mantra as a tool to go deeper.
- Align & Refine your Arm Balances with Darren Rhodes: The counter balance arm balance sequence. Take several arm balances to the next level of alignment and refinement. The insights you will gain in this class are applicable to asana across the board.
- Divine Alignment with Kia Miller: Explore how the way you stand informs each pose you do. Find your true ‘Tadasana- Mountain Pose’ and slowly build to a balancing posture – Warrior 3. Enjoy challenging yourself in this sequence and finding your own Divine Alignment. Props – 2 Blocks
- Lower Back and Upper Body Alignment with Steven Espinosa: In this segment of Yoga For Dancers we focus on Lower Back and Upper Body Alignment. Such as the tendency for dancers to have a “hyper flexible” lower lumbar spine and how to protect the lower back when doing yoga. We also focus on the difference between Arms/Shoulder/Upper Back alignment i.e., port de bras. This class includes a strong Standing Pose Flow and several Shoulder Openers. Suitable for non dancers as well.
- Align & Refine Yoga Postures with Jason Crandell: Aligning and refining your standing postures. This sequence will strengthen your things, stretch your inner-legs, and improve your understanding of of warrior 2 and it’s colleagues, triangle pose and side-angle pose. This thorough practice will not only leave you feeling better, it will refine your understanding of how to align your hips in these essential postures.