Chakra, Sanskrit for “spinning wheel of energy”, signifies one of seven specific energy centers in the body and mind. The seven main chakra centers are aligned along the spinal column and are connected to our being on several different levels: physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. Since our chakras are connected to our being in so many different ways, it is important that they are balanced. When our chakras are balanced, energy flows freely and we are able to achieve mental, physical and spiritual well-being. If the chakras are out of balance, the energy doesn’t flow as smoothly or effectively, resulting in feelings of disconnect or dissatisfaction.
Want to learn more about these fascinating spinning wheels of energy? This week’s featured classes concentrate on introducing and opening up the chakras through asana and meditation. Also, our seven part chakra series will provide more insight into each of the seven chakras.
- Chakra Meditation for Balance with Giselle Mari: This chakra meditation provides a great entry point to these seven subtle energetic centers and the karmic relationships that correspond to them. Sit, be still, and focus your attention, intention and bija (seed) mantra on your chakras to make way for peaceful balance. Prop Suggested: A blanket to sit on.
- Chakra Radiance from Root to Crown with Sianna Sherman: Learn the wisdom of the 7 Chakras and how each chakra is meaningful for your life. Each chakra has specific asanas and mantras for activation. From the root to the crown, you will be transformed and bring greater radiance and balance into your life. Prop Needed: A block. Props Suggested: Blankets for shoulderstand and wall space for inversions.
- Tour Your Chakras with Elena Brower: Take a quick, comprehensive tour of your chakras. With just a few minutes at each latitude, learn the shorthand for the function of each chakra and become familiar with ways to open and explore your practice with the chakras in mind.
- Root Chakra Meditation with Sally Kempton: A meditation on the extraordinary presence within the root chakra, which not only grounds us, but opens our consciousness to the fundamental ground of being.
- 4th Chakra Heart Flow with Claire Missingham: This heart flow is a morning sequence that gets the energy around the heart (4th Chakra) flowing. Vinyasa to begin to slowly build the rhythmic foundations of breath and movement within the framework of structured alignment and skilled sequencing. Based around the concept of the heart. Props: 2 blocks, blanket
- 2nd Chakra Sacral Flow with Jo Tastula: This is a creative flow that explores the water element and fluid movements. We delve deep into the hips, pelvis and lower back and also the second chakra which is our center for birthing creativity. Guided meditation to start, then warm up pelvic tilts and figure 8 leg rotations. We flow through warrior/triangle sequences (virabhadrasana/trikonasana) into more challenging transitions like half moon into standing hip opener (ardha chandrasana and eka pada galvanasan prep). Finishing with pigeon (eka pada raja kapotasana) and guided savasana. BLESS!! Optional Props: Blanket, block