Many of us save our yoga practice for the afternoon or evening. With a long, stressful day behind us, we want nothing more than to clear our minds, shift our focus and release whatever stress that has accumulated throughout the day. By the end of our practice we are calm and relaxed, the stress has subsided and whatever seemed to bother us during the day is now a distant memory. What a great way to end the day, right?
Yes! But what if there was a way to start the day off right? Morning yoga to the rescue! A morning yoga routine can set the tone for the entire day. It helps to clear our thoughts so we can remain calm and clear headed throughout the day, it gives us more energy and endurance and it prepares us mentally and emotionally for our daily activities and interactions with other people, in turn making us more patient and less reactive. What a great way to begin the day!
This week’s featured classes will help get your day started off on the right foot. Rise and shine!
- Awaken & Prepare the Day Ahead with Claire Missingham: The Kriyas, as defined in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika, are practices that have a cleansing affect on the mind or the physical body. These morning practices awaken agni (digestive fire) and uplift any stagnant energy for the day ahead. We finish with uplifting mantra and affirmation to keep repeating all day.
- Connect & Create a Beautiful Day with Jo Tastula: Connect with the creative energy of the morning and harness the powerful energy of the mind with this well rounded sunrise flow. Meditation and guided breathing, followed by gentle warm up and sun salutations (surya namaskar). Our flow opens up into temple pose and wide legged forward bend (prasarita padottanasana) with crescents and warrior 3 to invigorate (anjaneyasana & virabhadrasana 3) Finishing postures include locust pose (shalabhasana) and headstand (sirsasana). Wishing you a phenomenally awesome day! Prop Needed: A blanket.
- Morning Flexibility with Tara Judelle: This class uses slow movements to coax our body into flexibility and fluidity for the day. Includes forward bends (paschimottanasana, upavistha konasana) and hip openers (gomukhasana, baddha konasana). Props Suggested: Two Blocks, Blanket, Strap.
- Morning Wake-up for Balance, Vigor and Joy with Giselle Mari: Yoga is the type of wake up call you want to receive in the morning. Gently and slowly wake up the body with some stretching and heat building. This will kick start your day better than any cup of coffee – ok, maybe not that good! – but you’ll be caffeinated (yoga style) and ready to take on life with balance, vigor and joy. Props: Two Blocks, Two Blankets and One Strap.
- Good Morning Energizing Flow with Amy Ippoliti: Begin your day with this energizing sequence designed to awaken the body and give you a positive outlook on the day ahead. Gentle stretches, easy half sun salutes, culminating with a hip opening restorative pose. Good morning to you! 🙂 Props Needed: A Chair and Blanket. Props Suggested: 2 Blocks.
- Gayatri Mantra Morning Flow with Sianna Sherman: Chant the Gayatri mantra with the morning sun and activate the solar power of your day with this standing flow that opens up into pincha mayurasana and backbends. This is a great up-tempo practice.