Alignment is the precise way in which the body should be positioned in each yoga pose in order to obtain the maximum benefit from the pose, increase strength & flexibility without causing any pain, and most importantly, to avoid injury. Proper alignment improves circulation, creates inner space in the joints, and brings a balanced flow of energy through the whole body, which leads to health and well being.
This week’s featured classes will give you a deeper understanding of alignment so you can apply it to your postures.
- Alignment & Enjoyment with Steven Espinosa: An energetic opening warm up with multiple Half and Full Sun Salutations takes us into a consecutive Standing Pose series to create strength and body heat. Focus is on striking a balance between good alignment to enhance the enjoyment of our practice. Continues with two different Hip Openers followed by Hamstring stretch, Back Bends and Spinal Twists. Also includes a brief tutorial on stepping one foot forward from Down Dog into a High Lunge.
- Deeper Alignment with Tiffany Cruikshank: This is a nice level 1 flow class to teach deeper alignment in a few standing poses like warrior A & triangle pose.
- Alignment Practice with Marc Holzman: The Three A’s of Anusara Series. In this class we explore the power of the second A (Alignment). What do we individually want vs. what the universe is offering to us? This is a slow, deep, practice focusing on our alignment on the mat and off. A full spectrum class with a segment to improve balancing in handstand by moving further away from the wall.
- Divine Alignment with Kia Miller: Explore how the way you stand informs each pose you do. Find your true ‘Tadasana- Mountain Pose’ and slowly build to a balancing posture – Warrior 3. Enjoy challenging yourself in this sequence and finding your own Divine Alignment. Props – 2 Blocks.
- Align with Elena Brower: We are always being guided, helped, aided in some way; our practice is a chance to align with that influence. We will start and end with a restful awareness of your foundation, using subtle alignment cues for your feet while flowing into ever-evolving alignment with the space in our bodies, in any moment. Sweet flow, inversion, hip openers, arm balances, hips and backbends, finishing twists as well as meditation. Strong and delicious.
- Align & Refine Yoga Postures: Aligning and refining your standing postures
This sequence will strengthen your thighs, stretch your inner-legs, and improve your understanding of warrior 2 (Virabhadrasana 2) and it’s colleagues, triangle pose (Utthitta Trikonasana) and side-angle pose (Utthitta Parsvakonasana). This thorough practice will not only leave you feeling better, it will refine your understanding of how to align your hips in these essential postures.