It’s that time of year again. Yep, you guessed it. Cold and flu season. While everyone is bound to suffer from the occasional cold, the practicing yogi is less likely to come down with it and if they do, their recovery time is a lot quicker. Several studies show how yoga can help strengthen your immune system, making you less susceptible to those crummy colds. They say that the best treatment is prevention, so make sure you give a little extra love to your mat during this time of year.
This week’s featured classes will help regulate and boost the immune system, keeping it strong and healthy.
- Immunity for Fall with Dice Iida-Klein: This class is focused on ridding the body of toxins and impurities via deep twists, a good amount of folds and a nice dose of inversions through handstands. We venture through postures like twisted lunge (knee up and down), twisted half moon pose, twisted triangle and ardha matsyendrasana. For folds we incorporate seated fold, standing fold, seated wide legged fold and standing wide legged fold. We finish with a supine sequence from the floor. Enjoy my fellow yogis and stay healthy this fall/winter!
- Get Grounded When Deeply Fatigued & Depleted with Jason Crandell: Got stress? Got a cold? So stressed that you got a cold? Stressed that you have a cold (yes, I could go on…)? This practice will treat you well if you are struggling with either or both. Designed to be practiced when you are feeling depleted, this practice is mellow, grounding, and soothing. It will patiently open your body, encourage circulation in your upper-extremities and allow you to move deliberately even when you are deeply fatigued. Best of all, you’ll feel a little better afterward.
- Immune System 101 with Jo Tastula: A brief overview of what it is and how it works AND some super easy and effective exercises that you can do ANYWHERE to help boost your immune system. Learn body tapping for skin stimulation, swinging arms kidney massage, lymphatic drainage sun salutations and positive thinking hip openers. I hope this class motivates you to a new level of health!
- Immune System Booster with Kia Miller: When you are feeling down or depleted this is the practice for you! This meditation stimulates the sympathetic nervous system and the right hemisphere of the brain to adjust, balance and help remove inner conflict. Think of it as advanced immune therapy! Use it to promote heath and wellness and combat any dis-ease of the body. Practice regularly for maximum benefits. Enjoy!
- Ashtanga for the Immune System with Jodi Blumstein: This is a traditional full primary series class where Jodi is emphasizing and explaining the many many ways that the practice positively impacts the immune system. Focus is placed on explanation of how the postures affect the circulatory, endocrine, respiratory and nervous systems.
- Enhance Your Immune Function with Elena Brower: A quiet hourlong exploration of various postures to enhance your immune function. Address and approach the glands that control your hormones, which enhances organ function. Sometimes with specificity and more often with a simple reference and some much-needed healing silence, this practice offers a little science and lots of time for listening.