Are you emotionally exhausted? Physically drained? Are you physically drained because you’re emotionally exhausted? Well, you’re not alone! In today’s fast paced world, most of us will feel stressed out from time to time. The good news is that several studies show how yoga can help alleviate some of that stress.
This week, we are focusing on all the ways yoga can relax your body and calm your mind:
You can use our new Search feature to search through all of our Yoga for Stress Reduction classes on your own. To get you started without searching, we’re highlighting five classes in a variety of styles, levels and durations that are designed to help you go from stressed out to stress free!
- Stress Reduction with Dice Iida-Klein: Looking for stress relief? Find it via working and heating the hips (the storage center for our emotions) through a rigorous standing sequence using lunges, Warrior 1 & 2, Side-angle pose (Parsvakonnasana) and one-legged chair (ardha uttkatasana). From there, we take it to the floor and work through half-lord of the fishes pose (ardha matsyendrasana), head-to-knee pose (janu sirsasana) and single footed king pigeon pose (eka pada rajakapotasana). We finish off with bound-angle pose (baddha konnasana), happy baby pose (ananda balasana) and child’s pose (balasana).
- Yoga Really Works with Steven Espinosa: Steven shares a funny story about how yoga helped during a recent check up at the doctors office. Class begins with a gentle warm up leading into an energetic flow of continuous Standing Poses including Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon) with focus on breath inspired movement for stress reduction. Followed by opening up the Shoulders and Hips Openers. Concludes with an extended Seated Pose Sequence with Upavistha Konasana (Seated Wide Angle), Janu Sirsasana (Knee to Head), Pashimottonasana (Seated Forward Bend) and Parvrtta Sukhasana (Twisting Easy Pose). No Back Bends. Finishes with a brief Savasana.
- Rewire Your Nervous System with Tiffany Cruikshank – This is the sequel to the first Get Your Head in the Game class with less information and more steeping yourself in the process. This practice will ebb & flow like the first one to rewire the nervous system and help you get to the core of the practice with brief meditations along the way.
- Deep Relaxation Practice with Jason Crandell – Cultivate deep relaxation with this reclined breath awareness and pranayama practice. This practice is designed to soothe your nervous system, quiet your mind and make your breathing more efficient. You will be guided into deep relaxation, made aware of your unconscious breathing patterns and learn to optimize your breath in a mindful way.
- De-Stress, Unburden & Fortify with Stephanie Snyder – Tired? Run down? Stressed? This is the class for you, my friend. We will move through a sooooothing sequence to de-stress, unburden and fortify the mind and nervous system. It is a flow class that includes warrior sequences, lunges, light backbending (anjaneyasana), hip openers (pigeon) and twists (bharadvajasana). Be well.