Do you ever have such a harried, stressful day that unwinding and getting truly restful sleep is a challenge? You’re not alone! The good news is that several studies show yoga has transformative powers on our bodies and minds.
This week, we are focusing on all the ways yoga can help us slow down, re-center, and prepare for a night of sleep that is restorative and transformative. Imagine a world in which we’re all sleeping better – that’s a world we’d like to create with you!
You can use our new Search feature to search through all of our Yoga for Insomnia classes on your own. To get you started without searching, we’re highlighting six classes in a variety of styles, levels and durations that are designed to help you make the transition from your busy day to a restful evening:
- Self-Care Evening Flow with Elena Brower – Elevating ourselves to a new level of self-care and self-acceptance, this practice activates your heart as much as it challenges your body. We will work through standing poses into a juicy flying crow and some hip openers in order to soften your judgments and re-route your attention back to your heart. Great for evening, since you’ll focus on forward bends and hips rather than backbends to complete your practice, but you’ll love it any time of day.
- Goodnight Meditation with Harshada Wagner – Designed for the end of the day, this meditation guides the viewer through a deep relaxation and release.
- Connect to the Endless Battery Pack of the Earth with Felicia Tomakso – Do you ever have those days when you feel exhausted, spacey, when your head and/or energy is spinning? This class is the antidote. We focus on calming the airy and spacey vata dosha, the energy of air and ether through a number of soft, supported poses using a bolster and block. Restorative twists are the pose of the day because they help us let go of what has accumulated in the body, allowing us to benefit from connecting to the endless battery pack of the Earth. Through twists with the bolster, child’s pose, and a soft supine hip opening sequence, we end the practice feeling nourished and nurtured. This class can also put you to sleep just watching it, it is that relaxing.
- Evening Sleep-Prep Flow with Tiffany Cruikshank – Unwind with a flow that will get you moving right away and then ease off into stillness. We’ll meet the restlessness of the mind with movement and then slowly ease in so the mind settles and prepares for a deep restful sleep.
- Evening Practice & Savasana Tutorial with Amy Ippoliti – That’s right, the peak pose is savasana, broken down after a calming, sleep inducing practice.
- Goodnight Sweetheart with Christina Sell – This gentle heart and hip opening class will help you unwind from your day and prepare to greet the evening with calm and serenity. Culminating with shoulder stand and simple breathing exercises, this soothing class is a perfect way to end the day.
Here is to a wonderful week of delicious, restorative sleep!