Balance is a feeling derived from being whole and complete – it’s a sense of harmony. Our lives are made up of so many different areas, both internal and external – (work, finance, family, friends, romance, health, our mind, heart, hobbies, etc.) that sometimes it seems impossible to give 100% to each and every area, all of the time. But guess what? That’s ok. Giving 100% to all of those areas, all of the time, does not create balance. It only creates stress.
Living a balanced life is about integrating components of your life that are important to you without focusing “too” much on one component or being too extreme towards one area (remember, when one area of your life is imbalanced, it can affect the others). Of course there will be times when you need to make choices about what has to come first, but as long as you don’t neglect the other areas of your life, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to live the balanced life that most of us crave.
Feeling like you’ve been focusing too much on one area of your life and putting others on the back-burner? This week’s featured classes will help you explore your capacity for balance, on the mat and off.
- Balance Vata Dosha with Felicia Tomasko: Sometimes we feel as though we’re in the midst of a crazy electrical storm in our lives. This is an imbalance of the airy Vata Dosha. Through linking breath and movement, we can contain the winds and find our connection to the earth. We begin standing and conclude on the earth to calm the frenzy.
- Explore Your Capacity for Balance with Elena Brower: You are invited to experience your inner symmetry through asymmetrical poses; this practice intends to be an exploration of your capacity for balance and ease in any interaction in your life.
- Balancing Breath & Body with Steven Espinosa: Challenging Level 1-2 class focusing on balancing breath with body and mind with heart. Opening meditation with 4 count breath work to balance inhales equally with exhales. Leading into a strong warm up and Standing Pose series including Warriors 1 & 2 and Triangle combined with Shoulder Openers. Continues with Core Work in Dolphin Plank followed by a series of Standing Balance poses in Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon) and Vrksasana (Tree). Also includes Hip Openers in preparation for Arm Balance in Eka Pada Galavasana (Flying Crow) with Tutorial by instructor and demonstration by student. Concludes with optional Back Bends and/or Spinal Twists and brief Savasana.
- Cleanse Your Body, Balance Your Mind with Kia Miller: This class focuses on cleansing your body and balancing your negative mind tendencies. An active Kriya to move the issues out of your tissues followed by a short active meditation that helps to rebalance your energy. Do this class any time you feel your mind fall into negativity. Don’t be a slave to your mind. Choose the thoughts you want to embrace and release the others!
- Open and Balance Your Body & Mind with Stephanie Snyder: This is a simple and very fluid postnatal class designed to open and balance your body and mind. We will move through several twist variations, side openers, heart openers and a restorative inversion.
- Fold Your Way to Clarity & Balance with Darren Rhodes: Deep forward folds and twists. This class will promote clarity and balance as you turn your focus inward.