“The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” – Alan Watts
We are often resistant to change – and rightfully so. As humans we crave stability, comfort and control. So when things change, it can be a pretty scary and daunting phenomenon. Fear of the unknown, being taken out of our comfort zone, loss of control, realizing that we no longer can do the things that we once were able to do, are all reasons why we resist change. The thing is, change is a constant. Nothing stays exactly as it is. Nothing. It is the only thing in this life that is inevitable, so doesn’t it make more sense to embrace it rather than to fight it?
This week’s featured classes will challenge you to expand your boundaries and create positive change.
- Yoga to Change Your Perspective with Kathryn Budig: Shift your attitude and perspective along with your hamstrings and hip flexors. We explore the potential for growth, length, space and change in our minds and lower bodies leading up to Uttitha Hasta Padangustasana
(Standing Hand to Big Toe) and Vashistasana II (Side Plank II).
- Cultivate Support for Change with Tara Judelle: Establishing sources for support in order to experience change. Moving from the Back Body, this class explores some arm balances while finding alternative points of initiation of movement (kidneys, coccygeal body, pineal gland). Optional Props: Block, blanket
- The Power of Change with David Harshada Wagner & Jo Tastula: A transformational journey with Harshada and Jo. In this joint class, meditation teacher Harshada Wagner will join with vinyasa yoga teacher Jo Tastula to explore our practice’s power to support deep change in our minds, our bodies, and our lives. In this special 90 minute class, Harshada will lead guided contemplation and meditation exercises and Jo will lead a level 2 flow concentrating on inner listening and authentic movement.
- Yin for Fear of Change with Giselle Mari: Deficient chi in your kidney and urinary bladder meridian lines can bring up a fear of change. Keep it slow, short and sweet, while becoming familiar with what you are afraid of. Start with child’s pose and slowly move into sphinx, saddle, a twist and dragonfly (straddle) before settling into a meditation or savasana. Props Suggested: A bolster and a block.
- Calm Amidst Turbulence, Steady Against Change with Rod Stryker: In this practice, forward bends, twists, and longer holds will lead you to an incredible sense of stability and calm. Discover the power of stillness, calm in the midst of turbulence, and steady in the midst of change. The very qualities that allow us to embody yoga to the fullest. Prop Suggested: A blanket to sit on.
- Turn Toward Your Intention with Stephanie Snyder: In times of change we sometimes aren’t sure which way to turn. In this twists class, remember to consistently turn toward your intention. There is space for you there. And if you are still unsure, you can be still and wait for the insight. A playful sequence with some pretty deep twists, get right into it. Enjoy!