Hanumanasana is an intense hip and hamstring opener that not only requires flexibility, but plenty of patience and devotion. Beyond being extremely challenging, Hanumanasana does not offer any shortcuts so it can take months or even years to achieve the opening necessary to move into this pose. For those who are at battle with tight hamstrings or hips, achieving this pose may seem completely out of reach, but with plenty of practice, patience and faith, you might be amazed to see what your body is truly capable of.
This week’s featured classes will help warm up the hips and hamstrings so you can move deeper and deeper into this posture without straining or pulling any muscles.
- Hanumanasana Tutorial with Kathryn Budig: This hamstring tutorial focuses on the hip flexor, psoas and hamstring muscles to prep for Hanumanasana (Splits). Lunges bring you into split variations on the mat, at the wall and with a backbend to wrap it up.
- Strong Flow Leading to Hanumanasana with Marc Holzman: “Everyone can be great because anybody can serve” Strong Anusara flow leading up to Hanumanasana (front to back split) and Eka Pada Urdhva Dhanurasana (one leg back bend). This class begins with a 50 minute flow focusing on standing poses and dynamic hip openers and thigh stretches. One handstand designed to encourage the student to move further away from the wall.
A short cool down and meditation follows. The class theme focuses on remembering out greatness through offerings/seva.
- Hanumanasana Sequence with Jason Crandell: Whether you love it, hate it, or have achieved some sort of equinamous relationship with it, you should dive into this Hanumanasana sequence. Why? 1) It will open your hips and hamstrings; 2) It will coach you through subtle nuances of the pose; 3) You’ll explore a bigger, broader picture of “the splits” by learning to spread your attention evenly into all poses; 4) You’ll probably like it even when you’re not liking it; 5) It’s only 45 minutes.
- Hanumanasana Flow with Tiffany Cruikshank: An hour long class focusing on Hanumanasana (splits). We’ll get right side up, upside down & inside out in the splits working deeper and deeper in this hour flow.
- Toward a Deeper Hanumanasana with Tara Judelle: A 20 minute sequence with progressive hamstring openers designed to bring you deeper into Hanumanasana.
- Hanumanasana Inversion Tutorial with Dice Iida-Klein: A quick tutorial on how to find your Hanumansana (splits) while being upside down in an inversion.